PhD Degree Requirements and Procedures
Please read this entire page carefully, noting all requirements and deadlines. It is the student's responsibility to see that all requirements are satisfied and deadlines met.
ADMISSION TO THE PhD PROGRAM
Students who are first completing an MSEE in the department will enroll in the PhD program as of the first quarter after completing the MSEE.
SELECTION OF FACULTY ADVISORStudents should have a faculty advisor within the first quarter of study, and should notify the Advising Office both when an advisor has been determined and if there is a change of advisors.
The following are degree requirments for PhD students set by the University of Washington Graduate School and the Department of Electrical Engineering.
- 90 credits as a graduate student, of which at least 60 must be completed at the University of Washington. (With the approval of the degree-granting unit, an appropriate Master's degree from an accredited institution may substitute for 30 credits of enrollment.)
- 18 credits of course work with numerical grades must be taken at the UW prior to scheduling the Gen Exam.
- 1 credit of EE 592 Seminar offered each Autumn quarter. 1 credit may be applied towards the degree.
- 1 credit of EE 500 Seminar. 3 credits of EE 500 may be appliedy towards the degree.
- 30 credits of EE 800 Dissertation
over a period of at least 3 quarters beginning the quarter after passing the General Examination.
- A minimum grade of 2.7 is required in each course that is counted toward the degree.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation.
- Students must be registered as a graduate student for any quarter in which an exam (Qualifying, General or Final Examination) is to be scheduled.
- Students must maintain a minimum registration of 2 credits for the quarter that the degree is earned.
For additional information, please refer to the Graduate School website.
Return to Graduate Student Page