Devices and MEMS
Qualifying Exam SyllabusChoose 3 of the following 5 areas for examination.
- CMOS analog circuits
- Operational amplifiers
- Switched capacitor circuits
- Technologies: Low power CMOS, High frequency RF CMOS
- device physics (band theory, drift-diffusion-recombination)
- pn-junction diode
- bipolar junction transistor
VLSI and MEMS Microfabrication Techniques:
- unit processes: diffusion, implantation, film growth, deposition, etching
- common/modern CMOS process and fabrication flows
- MEMS release processes
Principles of Micro Sensors and Transducers:
- optical sensors
- thermal sensors
- pressure sensors
- electrostatic transducers
- thermal transducers
- Fundamentals of Optics: Geometrical optics and matrix methods; Wave optics, superposition, and interference; Gaussian beam optics and lasers; Polarization; Photons and photons in semiconductors.
- Semiconductor lasers, LEDs, and photodetectors
- Passive waveguide devices: Optical waveguide structures; Modes in optical waveguides; Waveguide coupling; Modulators and Switches.