Academics > Professional Programs > Advising

Professional Programs Advising

Erin Olnon is the Professional Programs Manager and Academic Counselor for all Professional Programs in Electrical Engineering.  Please contact the Professional Programs Advising Office to schedule an appointment at or 206.616.4909.

Continuous Enrollment and On-Leave Procedures

To maintain matriculated graduate student status at the University, students must be continuously enrolled (taking at least one course per quarter as a graduate student) every quarter, with the exception of Summer quarter, which is optional. Students requesting on-leave status must submit an online Request for On-Leave Status via MyGrad Program. For a given quarter, students can submit the request as early as two weeks prior to the first day of instruction and must submit payment of the non-refundable fee no later than 11:59:59 p.m. PST on the last day of instruction. Leave is granted on a quarterly basis, though the following students may request up to four consecutive quarters of leave at one: PCMI students, military personnel with deployment orders, and some UW Fulbright grantees (with the exception of military personnel with deployment orders, these students will be required to pay the fee for each quarter of leave requested). Note that the Graduate School requires that students must have completed at least one quarter of graduate study in matriculated status to be eligible for On-Leave status. International students must complete three consecutive quarters (please consult the International Student Services Office for eligibility).

To request On-Leave status, you should:

  1. Discuss your On-Leave request with the Professional Programs Advisor and read the Graduate School On-Leave Policy.
  2. Complete the online request form, available via MyGrad.
  3. If you have already registered for a quarter, you must formally drop all courses *before the quarter begins* in order to apply for On-Leave status.
  4. Completing the online Request for On-Leave status does not automatically drop a student from these courses.

EE Blog

Check out the EE Blog for information regarding campus events, jobs & internships, course annoucements, and scholarships & fellowships.

Grades / Incompletes

A minimum of 2.7 is required in each graded course that is counted toward a graduate degree. A minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 is required for graduation. Note that an Incomplete may be given only when the student has been in attendance and has done satisfactory work to within two weeks of the end of the quarter and has furnished proof satisfactory to the instructor that the work cannot be completed because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control. Refer to Graduate School Memorandum No. 19 for full details on grades.

Graduate students may repeat any course. Both the original grade and the second grade are computed in the GPA. Subsequent grades will not be included, but will appear on the permanent record. The number of credits earned in the course will apply toward degree requirements only once. Veterans receiving benefits must receive approval from the Office of Special Services before a course is repeated.


Graduation information and procedures for the Professional Master's Program.

Petition of a Degree Requirement

In general, you should always check first with the PMP Advisor regarding a request to petition a PMP degree requirement. If the requirement relates to the Graduate School you will be advised to submit a Petition to the Dean. If the requirement is departmental you may be able to have the request reviewed internally by the PMP Advisor and/or the PMP Faculty Director.


Registration services for PMP students are provided in collaboration with UW Educational Outreach (UWEO). Prior to the quarterly registration deadlines you will receive an email from the PMP Advisor with an attached UWEO registration form that includes course offerings for that quarter, registration deadlines, and other important registration information. Payment is due at the time of registration.

UWEO Payment Agreement Form for Students with Financial Aid

Boeing Employees: For payment, use Boeing's online voucher process. On the UWEO registration form select "third-party payer" and fax in your voucher together with the registration form. Direct any questions to UWEO registration services at

Transfer Credit

The PMP allows a maximum of ONE course, up to 6 quarter credits, to be transferred and applied toward the MSEE assuming credits were not used to satisfy requirements for another degree. The transfer coursework needs to be applicable to the PMP, and must be approved by an EE faculty member. It is at the discretion of the department to recommend approval of transfer credit requests. Transfer credits from other institutions are not entered on the UW transcript. In order for a petition to be considered, students must submit a course description, course syllabus, and unofficial transcript. All petitions are submitted online via the following link:
PMP Transfer Credit Petition


EE logo