PMP Master's Independent Study
PMP students interested in working on research with an EE faculty member may register for Master's Independent Study, EE 599.
- A maximum of 4 credits of EE 599 may be applied to PMP degree requirements.
- EE 599 credits are graded (as opposed to CR/NC).
- It is the responsibility of the PMP student to find an EE faculty member willing to work with them on an independent study project. No guarantee is given that an EE faculty member will have availability to work with a PMP student on an independent study.
- Students may reference the EE Research Areas page for a list of specific faculty expertise and to identify individual faculty members to contact.
How Many Credits? How Many Hours Of Work?
1 credit = 3 hours of work/week
2 credits = 6 hours of work/week
3 credits = 9 hours of work/week
4 credits = 12 hours of work/week
Faculty expectations should not exceed the hours listed above. Students should speak with their faculty supervisor and have a clear understanding and agreement as to the expected parameters necessary to earn the specified number of independent study credits. Students and/or faculty should contact the PMP Advisor if they have any questions.
Registering For Independent Study
To register for independent study PMP students must first contact the PMP Advising Office and receive approval. Then the student must identify a supervising faculty and receive a faculty code from the PMP Advisor to be used on the quarterly registration form submitted to UW Educational Outreach.
Process for Independent Study Registration:
- Meet with and receive approval for independent study from the PMP Advising Office.
- Complete the PMP Request for Master's Independent Study approval form, get the faculty signature, and return the form to the PMP Advisor to receive a faculty code. A new approval form must be submitted each quarter a PMP student registers for EE 599.
- Write the given faculty code in the space next to EE 599 on the Continuing Education registration form.
- Submit the completed Continuing Education quarterly registration form as normal.
Questions regarding registration for EE 599 may be directed to the Program Advisor via firstname.lastname@example.org.