Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering
Director of Advancement, Electrical Engineering
Director of Innovation, CoMotion
Principal Research Scientist, Applied Physics Laboratory
Payman Arabshahi is Associate Professor, and Associate Chair for Advancement at the University of Washington’s Department of Electrical Engineering; Director of Innovation of Learning Programs at the UW’s Office of Innovation (CoMotion); and a principal research scientist with the UW Applied Physics Laboratory. From 1994-1996 he served on the faculty of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. From 1997-2006 he was on the senior technical staff of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), in the Communications Architectures and Research Section, working on Earth orbit and deep space communication networks and protocols, and design of planetary exploration missions. While at JPL he also served as affiliate graduate faculty at the Department of Electrical Engineering at Caltech, where he taught the three-course graduate sequence on digital communications. Arabshahi has been the co-founder of, or advisor to, a number of technology startups. His interests are in entrepreneurship education, innovation readiness, underwater and space communications, wireless networks, data mining and search, and signal processing.
Underwater and space communications, wireless networks, power system optimization, smart grid, data mining and search, and signal processing.
Students Make Cloud Printing Available to Everyone, on Any DeviceAs a part of their Electrical Engineering Entrepreneurial Capstone Project, undergraduate students Wenlu Chang, Jessica Perng and Wesley Tsai invent new cloud printing device.
- N. Parrish, L. Tracy, S. Roy, W.L.J. Fox, and P. Arabshahi, "System design considerations for undersea networks: link and multiple access protocols," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 26, no. 9, December 2008.
- B.M. Howe, Y. Chao, P. Arabshahi, S. Roy, T. McGinnis, A. Gray, "A smart sensor web for ocean observation: fixed and mobile platforms, integrated acoustics, satellites, and predictive modeling," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-15, July 25, 2010.
- S.H. Fouladi, M. Hajiramezanali, H. Amindavar, J.A. Ritcey, and P. Arabshahi, "Denoising based on multivariate stochastic volatility modeling of multiwavelet coefficients," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 61, no. 22, Nov. 2013.
- R. Roshandel, P. Arabshahi, R. Poovendran, "LIDAR: A layered intrusion detection and remediation framework for smartphones," Proc. 4th International ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Architecting Critical Systems (Federated with CompArch 2013), Vancouver, Canada, 17-21 June 2013.
- X. Xie, S. Ashrafi, S. Roy, P. Arabshahi, "Puget Sound Underwater Networking Testbed," Proc. IEEE Oceans 2014, St. John's, Canada, Sept. 14-19, 2014.
- Y. Ying, S. Roy, P. Arabshahi, "A Modified CSMA/CA Protocol for OFDM Underwater Networks: Cross Layer Design," Proc. 10th ACM Workshop on Underwater Networks, Washington D.C., Oct. 22-24, 2015.