Radha Poovendran is professor and chair of the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Washington. He is the founding director of the Network Security Lab and is a founding member and associate director of research for the UW’s Center for Excellence in Information Assurance Research and Education. He has also been a member of the advisory boards for Information Security Education and Networking Education Outreach at UW. In collaboration with NSF, he served as the chair and principal investigator for a Visioning Workshop on Smart and Connected Communities Research and Education in 2016.
Poovendran’s research focuses on wireless and sensor network security, adversarial modeling, privacy and anonymity in public wireless networks and cyber-physical systems security. He co-authored a book titled Submodularity in Dynamics and Control of Networked Systems and co-edited a book titled Secure Localization and Time Synchronization in Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks. He is also an associate editor for ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks.
Poovendran is a Fellow of IEEE and has received various awards including Distinguished Alumni Award, ECE Department, University of Maryland, College Park, 2016; NSA LUCITE Rising Star 1999; NSF CAREER 2001; ARO YIP 2002; ONR YIP 2004; PECASE 2005; and Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences 2007.
Security, biosystems and machine learning.
Radha Poovendran Receives Distinguished Alumni AwardProfessor Poovendran was honored with the 2016 Electrical and Computer Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Maryland.
UW EE Hosts Alumni Breakfast for UW Discovery DaysThe UW EE community celebrated our alums this weekend at Discovery Days on Saturday, April 23, 2016.
UW EE Wins $7.5 Million MURI Grant to Defend Advanced CyberattacksA highly competitive $7.5 million Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative grant has been awarded to a research team led by Department Chair and PI Radha Poovendran.
Indian Americans Named Newly Elevated IEEE 2015 FellowsDepartment Chair Radha Poovendran is one of 25 Indian Americans elected to the status of IEEE Fellow, effective January 1, 2015. India West- January
Got a positive charge?Department Chair Radha Poovendran shares his optimism about the future of UW EE.
- Tague, P., Nabar, S., Ritcey, J.A. and Poovendran, R., 2011. Jamming-aware traffic allocation for multiple-path routing using portfolio selection. Networking, IEEE/ACM Transactions on, 19(1), pp.184-194.
- A. Clark, Q. Zhu, R. Poovendran, T. Basar, Deceptive Routing in Relay Networks, in GameSec 2012, November 5th-6th 2012, Budapest, Hungary.
- K. Sampigethaya, R. Poovendran, “Aviation Cyber-Physical Systems: Foundations for Future Aircraft and Air Transport," in Proceedings of the IEEE, Jan 2013.
- A. Clark, K Sun, L. Bushnell, and R. Poovendran, “A Game-Theoretic Approach to IP Address Randomization in Decoy-Based Cyber Defense,” Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec) (Nov 2015).
- P. Lee, A. Clark, L. Bushnell, and R. Poovendran. "Modeling and Designing Network Defense against Control Channel Jamming Attacks: A Passivity-Based Approach," IEEE Conference on Information Science and Systems (CISS), Workshop on Control of Cyber-Physical Systems, April 2013.
- A. Clark, Q. Zhu, R. Poovendran, and T. Başar. "An Impact-Aware Defense Against Stuxnet," IFAC American Control Conference (ACC), pp. 4070-4077, June 2013.
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1999
University of Maryland, College Park
M.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India