Energy Saving Butler
A group of students is working on the design of a system that would control the consumption of electric energy in a house. This software should minimize the cost of energy while behaving like the perfect butler, i.e. it should:
Click here to download a copy of the presentation that they gave at the May 2012 Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Know what needs to be done (dishwasher loaded, laundry, heating)
- Learn the household preferences
- Detect changes in the routines
- Be told of changes from normal schedule
- Supervise the appliances
- Negotiate with the suppliers (i.e. the retailers of electrical energy)
- Be discrete
- Do some things without having to be told what needs to be done
- Have a brief daily meeting with his boss to receive instructions and bring up things that it has noticed
- Take instructions over the phone when needed.