Research Computing Support
Our computing system administrators can provide the following services to assist with the computing needs that your lab might have depending on whether the need for research computing support is ongoing (permanent) or temporary one.
Ongoing (Permanent) Research Computing Support
A research lab can subscribe to a percentage of a full time sysadmin's time on an ongoing basis. An appropriate sysadmin whose expertise match that of the needs of the research lab will be assigned. The cost will be related directly to the percentage of the sysadmin's salary.
The significant advantages of this choice is that:
- There is comprehensive computing support that is offered to the entire lab including the lab's servers, the student's desktops, security issues, application installs and customization, and on-going support interactions with students and faculty of this lab
- There is continuity of support from the same sysadmin who is familiar with the research lab needs
- The cost associated with support is the least expensive compared to the other options
Temporary Research Computing Support
Our computing system administrators can provide the following services to assist with the computing needs that your lab might have:
Cost of Services:
Subscription Support Services
Non-emergency & preventative maint
Emergency, security issues
$45/hour (6 months contract)
Requests may be submitted using our temporary research computing support form. The number of hours worked will be billed in 15 minute increments.
Type of Temporary Support Services Available
Subscription Support Services - (Minimum 6
months contract, cost $45/hour)
Open enrollment period: one week before each quarter
- Operating System installation [Linux and Windows]
- Hardware and Software Installation
- Application packages installation
- Security updates and patches
- Tape Backup setup and configuration [does not cover continued ongoing backups and restoration]
- Other misc computer related issues
- Hardware costs will be additional
On Demand Non-Emergency Services - (No contract necessary, cost $70/hour)
- All of the services mentioned in the Subscription Support Services
- Minimum service request is 30 minutes per computer in the lab
Security updates will be given the first choice. Rest of support based on availability of time.
- Security updates will be covered for any known intrusion levels at the time of service.
Emergency and Security Related Services (cost $100/hour)
- Emergency basis: Any work that is *not* done on a preventative basis
- Security breaches: on workstations that were not serviced by the Subscription Support Services
- Requiring work to be done on evenings and weekends
- Security breaches that require sysadmin attention will mandate a charge at this rate.
General Note on Security Breaches: In case of a security breach, UW-IT will turn off the ethernet port on the wall immediately. If a student sysadmin is working to correct the issues then it will be checked by a FT System Administrator before letting the system back on the network. If there are repeated compromises, it will be at the FT System Administrator's discretion to rectify the security breach and charge for that time.
Workstations that were serviced under this proposal will be covered for a period of 2 months on any security breach or hardware or application malfunction that occurs that was related to the work done previously.