Operations > Computing > FAQ
Computing Support Guidelines
This document provides a basic guideline regarding what support is offered by EE Computing to faculty, staff, and official visitors.
Support offered to permanent faculty and staff
The department provides the following support to UWEE faculty and staff for UW owned and Computing distributed hardware and software:
- Desktop computer and monitor
- Licensed and Computing distributed software
- Desktop printer and scanner
- Windows and Unix Operating Systems
- Faculty laptops (software support ONLY):
- Only department owned laptops for teaching will be supported
- One laptop per faculty will be supported (registered with Computing)
- Operating Systems supported: Windows XP/Vista/7 and Unix
- Only licensed software that Computing distributes for laptops will be supported
- Faculty is responsible for all data backup
Please read through our complete HelpDesk Service Level Agreement for list of support services that EE Computing provides.
Support offered to departmental visitors
The department provides the following to official department visitors:
- All available licensed or donated software
The PI or lab sponsoring the visitor is responsible for providing:
- Computer and monitor
- Ongoing computer support
If the visitor will need an EE computing account, they must first obtain a UW NetID. Information on obtaining a NetID can be found on UW's "Accounts and Passwords" page.