Source Documentation File Retention
The following procedure intends to provide guidance in filing and retrieving (financial paper files) EE source documents.
- All source documents pertaining to EE department budgets are to be properly coded and filed.
- After coding is completed the EE Fiscal Specialist 2 transfers source documents for the previous month to the filing room. Source documents are kept in the working files for one month (top file cabinet with blue file folders). Then, source documents are filed in the permanent file cabinets by budget number, and by fiscal month (when they were actually posted in the UW FIN system)
- EE source documents are retained in the permanent file cabinet according to the following schedule (UW source document retention schedule).
- BAR/BSR’s are kept for 6 years after end of biennium.
- JV’s for 4 years after end of biennium.
- Petty Cash requests are kept for 4 years after end of biennium.
- Check Requests are kept for 4 years after end of biennium.
- CTA/ISD’s are kept for 4 years after end of biennium.
- PROcard/FedEx source documents are kept for 4 years after end of biennium.
- PO’s and source documents are kept for 4 years after end of biennium.
- The remaining source documents with object account codes of 01*, 02*, 03*, 04*, 05* and 06* are kept for 2 years after end of biennium.
The departmental self-sustained budget source documents (for budgets 14-0143, 14-1030, etc.) are kept by month.
Petty Cash documentation is filed in a separate file cabinet in sequential order by petty cash check number and by the date issued.
The file room is to remain locked at all times. The EE Fiscal Specialists will provide access to the files if necessary.
If a source document needs to be pulled out from the folder an Out-Slip card must be filled out and put in place of the source document. The following information must be indicated on the Out-Slip card: name of the person who pulled the document, document reference number and description, date pulled.
Contacts for Questions: