Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Do you have a Master's Degree Program?
- Do I need an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering to apply?
- What are your prerequisites?
- How long does the program take to complete?
- If I already have a Master's degree, will the program be shorter for me?
- Can I do this program on a part-time basis, or during evenings and weekends?
- Do you have an on-line or distance-learning program?
- How much is tuition?
- Is this the right program for you? Is submitting an application worth your time and effort?
- Do you accept transfer credit?
- Do you accept Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) students?
- Where do I mail my application materials?
- What is the application deadline and what if I miss it?
- If December 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, what do I do?
- If January 1 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, what do I do?
- Can you tell me if you received my application/GREs/transcripts/etc.?
- Is my application complete?
- How many applicants do you typically receive and how many do you admit?
- Can I apply to more than one area and how do I do that?
- What criteria do you use in making admissions decisions?
- Can you give me an update on my application or the admissions timeline?
- What if a faculty member contacts me directly?
- When will I know if I have been accepted or denied?
- What is the earliest I can apply?
- Can you mail me an application/information on the program?
- Can I visit the Department of Electrical Engineering or schedule an advising appointment?
- When is your Visit Days event, so I can save the date?
- When will I know if I have been selected to visit the department?
- I was denied admission; what was the reason and what do I do now?
- How will I be funded? How do I apply for assistantships?
- I was admitted, by my admission letter stated: We are unfortunately not able to offer you a Teaching or Research Assistantship at this time,” what does this mean?
- If I get in, can I defer enrollment one year to gain more experience?
Graduate Application Questions
Regarding Online Graduate School Application
- Where is the link to the online Graduate School application?
- What's the difference between the "Statement of Purpose" and "Personal Statement?"
- I have completed all the steps and printed the application, but it still won't let me pay and submit?
- How do I apply for an application fee waiver?
- I have an update to my application after I submitted it, can I fix it?
- Can I get my application materials back if I wasn't accepted?
Regarding Exams: GRE, TOEFL, etc.
- What are the institution/department codes for sending my GRE/TOEFL scores?
- Do you require a subject test in the GRE?
- What if I took the GRE/TOEFL test late?
- Do you have a GRE cut-off? What if I don't get that score? Should I retest?
- Do you accept other tests besides GRE/TOEFL?
- What if I took the GRE Revised General Test?
- What are the language requirements for international applicants?
- Do you accept old exam scores?
- If I've taken the exam more than once, what scores do you consider?
- Do I have to take the GRE/TOEFL? Can it be waived?
Regarding Letters of Recommendation
- Do you have forms for the letters of recommendation?
- How many letters of recommendation do I need?
- Letters of recommendation must be submitted online, what does this mean?
- My recommender did not receive the request email to submit an online letter.
- When will my recommender get the email request?
- Do I have to wait until I'm completely done with my application to designate recommenders?
- What if I use service that collects my letters, can they still be sent to you?
- My recommender does not want to submit a letter online, can it be mailed?
- Advice to share with your recommenders regarding the online request.
- I retained the right to view the letters, may I see them?
Regarding Transcripts & GPA
- What transcripts are required?
- I earned two Bachelor's degrees, how do I enter this in the online application for the two major GPAs?
- My school doesn't have official online transcripts.
- What if I haven't graduated and earned my Bachelor's/Master's degree by the application deadline?
- I just received new grades/degree; can I send you an updated transcript?
- Do I still need to upload a transcript if I'm currently (or was) a student at the University of Washington?
- Can transcripts be mailed directly to the Department or can I mail them to you?
- How do I calculate my GPA?
- How do I convert semester credits to quarter credits (and vice versa)?
Regarding Reapplication Procedures
- How do I reapply? What materials do you keep?
Regarding Other Questions or Concerns
- What if I can't get electronic copies of my exam scores, transcripts, or letters of recommendation, etc.?
- What happens to separate or late materials?
- How do I make a PDF?