Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM)
GRADUATE NON-MATRICULATED (GNM) status is for students who:
- are not interested in a degree but who wish to take a limited number of EE graduate classes to enhance and update their knowledge
- want to take graduate level courses before applying to the graduate program
A maximum of 12 credits taken as a GNM student may
be applied to a graduate degree if the student is later accepted to a graduate program. Please note that admission to GNM status does not confer priority for later admission into the Graduate
School to pursue a degree.
Since Federal regulations mandate that international students be enrolled in a program that leads to a degree, students with F-1 visas may not participate in the GNM program.
Criteria for GNM Admission
Students applying for GNM status in Electrical Engineering should have an undergraduate
degree in EE or the equivalent. Questions about applying should be sent to the EE Advising
Office at email@example.com, or
Students who are approved for GNM status may take 500-level (graduate courses), or 400-level courses
(upper-level undergraduate courses). NOTE: Students who wish to take lower level undergraduate
classes (200 and 300-level) should not apply for GNM status, but may take these courses as a non-matriculated (NM) student by
contacting the Office of Outreach. NM Students may also take
400 and 500-level classes, but credits taken as an NM student will not later
transfer for credit toward a degree.
Access to classes for NM and GNM students depends on space availability. Matriculated students have first priority.
Graduate School FAQ
Autumn Quarter - September 1
Winter Quarter - December 1
Spring Quarter - March 1
Summer Quarter - May 15
Applicants are required to submit the application (see link below) and should upload a copy of transcripts along with the electronic application. There are no letters of recommendation or GRE scores required for GNM admission.
To apply, submit the following materials:
- Electronic Application - online application only
- Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts - online
- Scan and upload an electronic copy of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended via the online application system. Do not mail transcripts; official transcripts will not be accepted.
- Statement of Purpose - online
- A one-page summary of academic background and the reason for requesting GNM status in Electrical Engineering
- Include a list of EE courses intended to be applied only toward an MSEE
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae - online application only
- $85 Graduate School Application Fee (Effective January 2, 2013)
Questions? - Please email all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.