Power and energy systems research at UW EE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. EE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Faculty: Brian Johnson
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
New hire, Brian Johnson, brings expertise in power electronicsThis spring, Dr. Johnson will will advance UW EE's research in power and energy systems by introducing new courses and research in power electronics.
Leading-edge research accelerates scalable clean energy innovationsUW EE Professor Daniel Kirschen is a research leader at UW's Clean Energy Testbeds. The lab spurs research that will reduce the time, energy and money needed to turn innovative discoveries into scalable clean energy products.
Startup OneRadio unveils radio receiver platformOneRadio, founded by Professor John Sahr and Affiliate Professor Tony Goodson, showcased its unique wideband radio receiver platform.
An Alum's Journey to Tackle Energy PovertyHenry Louie, Ph.D. '08, received a year-long Fulbright Award to work on improving energy systems in Zambia.
Student, Yury Dvorkin, Awarded the 2016 CEI Scientific Achievement AwardPhD student, Yury Dvorkin, received the Scientific Achievement Award from the Clean Energy Institute for his exceptional contributions to the field of renewable energy.
- Synchronization of parallel single-phase inverters using virtual oscillator control
- Achieving 100% renewable grids: Operating electric power systems with extremely high levels of variable renewable energy
- An analytical time-domain expression for the net ripple produced by parallel interleaved converters
- Synthesizing Virtual Oscillators to Control Islanded Inverters
- Evaluating and Planning Flexibility in Sustainable Power Systems
- Assessing the Impact of Insufficient Situation Awareness on Power System Operation