Power and energy systems research at UW EE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. EE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Integration of Renewable Energy Sources
Power System Economics
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Joshua R. Smith
- Miguel A. Ortega-Vazquez
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
An Alum's Journey to Tackle Energy PovertyHenry Louie, Ph.D. '08, received a year-long Fulbright Award to work on improving energy systems in Zambia.
EE Student, Yury Dvorkin, Awarded the 2016 CEI Scientific Achievement AwardPhD student, Yury Dvorkin, received the Scientific Achievement Award from the Clean Energy Institute for his exceptional contributions to the field of renewable energy.
Washington Takes Big Step Toward Renewable Energy Storage and Grid IntegrationClean Energy Institute - July 8
Diversity at the Top — Building Spaces and ProgramsEE Affiliate Faculty Member Andy Stewart and his crew are featured! UW Today- October 24
- Evaluating and Planning Flexibility in Sustainable Power Systems
- Assessing the Impact of Insufficient Situation Awareness on Power System Operation
- Optimal Scheduling of Electric Vehicle Charging and Vehicle-to-Grid Services at Household Level Including Battery Degradation and Price Uncertainty
- A Hybrid Stochastic/Interval Approach to Transmission-Constrained Unit Commitment
- Optimal Operation and Services Scheduling for an Electric Vehicle Battery Swapping Station
- Optimal Participation of an Electric Vehicle Aggregator in Day-Ahead Energy and Reserve Markets