Biosystems research in UW’s Department of Electrical Engineering is a highly collaborative endeavor. Our faculty focus on four areas of Biosystems research: synthetic & systems biology, neural engineering, biomedical devices, and mobile health. Many of our faculty hold secondary appointments and work closely with collaborators from other departments including Bioengineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Biology, Genome Sciences, Applied Mathematics, and the UW Medical Center. Our Biosystems faculty work with many cross-disciplinary institutes such as the eScience Institute, the NSF Engineering Research Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering, the Institute for Protein Design, the Bloedel Hearing Research Center and the University of Washington Institute for Neuroengineering.
Biotechnology, macromolecular engineering tools, advanced materials, genetic engineering, computer aided design, laboratory automation, DNA/RNA sequence assembly, information theory and machine learning for genomics applications.
Neural Control, Brain-Computer Interfaces, Neural Security, Device control, spinal cord rehabilitation, neural signaling, neuromechanics and computational neuroscience.
Design of biomedical devices including research and clinical neural interfaces, diagnostic devices, wearable sensors, and embedded processing and wireless communication links for biomedical devices.
Development of new health monitoring, diagnostics, and health management applications and tools using emerging mobile devices and sensors. Research in this area applies advances in imaging, app development, physiological modeling, statistical algorithms, and machine learning. This work has implications for home health monitoring and low-resource environments.
- AMP Lab
- Data-Driven Dynamical Systems
- Seelig lab for synthetic biology
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Ubicomp (Ubiquitous Computing) Research Lab
- Visvesh Sathe's research group
- Klavins Lab
- BioRobotics Laboratory
- Information Theory Lab
- Interactive System Design Laboratory
- Visvesh Sathe
- Georg Seelig
- Jacques Christophe Rudell
- Eli Shlizerman
- Shwetak N. Patel
- Matt Reynolds
- Joshua R. Smith
- Babak Parviz
- Linda G. Shapiro
- Eric Klavins
- Blake Hannaford
- Howard Jay Chizeck
- Samuel Burden
- Jeffrey A. Bilmes
- Les Atlas
UW team achieves a factor of 10 performance improvement for BCI Recording SystemsUW researchers present a system that addresses BCI challenges, increasing channel recording density by ten times current state-of-the-art systems.
Researchers deliver first targeted treatment for movement disorderProfessor Howard Chizeck and researchers from electrical engineering, CSNE and UW Medicine develop a system to relieve symptoms of essential tremors with a smaller cost on battery life.
Graduate student Rahil Jain featured in Lab on a Chip journalJain's work on diagnostic technologies was showcased on the front cover of the international research journal.
Professor Patel featured in GeekWire's Health Tech PodcastProfessor Shwetak Patel was spotlighted in the first episode of the health- and technology-focused podcast for his pioneering work on smartphone sensors.
UW researchers build largest circuits to date in living eukaryotic cellsThe research, led by Professor Eric Klavins, was published on May 25 in Nature Communications.
- UW BIOFAB: a cloud laboratory for genetic engineering
- Digital Pathology: Accuracy, Viewing Behavior and Image Characterization (with PI: Joann Elmore at Harborview and others)
- 3D Head Reconstruction from Images or Videos (with Ira Kemmelmacher-Shlizerman in CSE)
- Expression Recognition with Deep Neural Nets (with Barbara Mones in CSE)
- Remote switching of cellular activity and cell signaling using light in conjunction with quantum dots
- Fluorescent porous silicon biological probes with high quantum efficiency and stability
- Photonic Crystal Optical Tweezers with High Efficiency for Live Biological Samples and Viability Characterization
- Head Reconstruction from Internet Photos
- Quantifying Nasal Symmetry and Nasal Normalcy Before and After Unilateral Cleft Lip Repair