Massachusetts Institute of Technology PhD 1976
Massachusetts Institute of Technology MS 1973
Massachusetts Institute of Technology BS 1971
Leung Tsang is presently a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Leung Tsang was born, and completed the High School education, in Hong Kong. He received the SB, SM, EE, and Ph.D. degrees all from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was a Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Washington, Seattle, in 1983-2014, and was the Department Chair of UWEE in 2006-2011. Between 2001-2004, he was on leave from University of Washington and was a Professor Chair at the Department of Electronic Engineering of the City University of Hong Kong. He joined University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in January 2015. He was the President of IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society for the 2-year term 2006-2007. Since April 2008, he has been the President of the Electromagnetics Academy, Cambridge, Massachusetts. His current research interests are in microwave remote sensing, wave scattering and propagation in random media and rough surfaces, high frequency interconnects, signal integrity, electromagnetic compatibility, computational electromagnetics and plasmonics.
Fellow, IEEE, 1990
Fellow, Optical Society of America, 1996
Outstanding Service Award, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, 2000
IEEE Third Millennium Medal, 2000
Distinguished Achievement Award, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensng Society, 2008
Honorary Professor, Department of Electronic Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, 2004-present
Adjunct Professor, Electromagnetics Academy, Zhejiang University, 2004-2009
"Fiorino Oro" (Golden Florin) Award, CeTeM (Center for Microwave Remote Sensing), Italy, 2010
William T Pecora Award (co-sponsored by Department of Interior USGS and NASA), 2012
Member of Washington State Academy of Science, 2012
IEEE Electromagnetics Award , 2013
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 1996 to 2000.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 1987-1995, and 2001-2009.
- Member, Editorial Board of Proceeding of IEEE, January 2007 to present.
- Guest Editor, Special issue of Proceedings of IEEE , ''Satellite Remote Sensing Missions for Monitoring Water, Carbon and Global Climate Change'' , May 2010.
- Associate Editor, Radio Science, 1988-1993.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES , SERVICES and NATIONAL COMMITTEES
- President, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society(GRSS), 2006-2007.
- Member, IEEE Publication Services and Products Board (PSPB), 2008-2009, 2013-present
- Member, IEEE Conference Committee, 2014-present
- Member, IEEE Technical Program Integrity Committee (TPIQ) 2015-present
- Member, IEEE Fellow Committee 2015-present
- Chair, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Fellow Evaluation Committee, 2012-2014
- Member, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Fellow Evaluation Committee, 2010-2014.
- Member, IEEE Electromagnetics Award Committee, 2013-2015
- President, Electromagnetics Academy, March 2008-present
- Chair, IEEE TAB Periodicals Committee, 2008-2009.
- Chair, IEEE TAB Periodicals Review and Advisory Committee 2010-2011
- Chair, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Nominations Committee, 2010-2011
- Member, IEEE Technical Activities Board (TAB), 2006-2009.
- Member, Administrative Committee, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, 2002-2010.
- Member, IEEE Technical Activities Board (TAB) Periodicals Committee, 2007, 2010-2011.
- Member , IEEE TAB Periodicals Review and Advisory Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, IEEE TAB Finance Committee, 2008-2009.
- Member, IEEE TAB Nominations Committee, 2010-2011.
- Executive Vice President, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society , 2004-2005..
- Member, Commissions B and F of URSI.
- General Chair, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGASS98), 1998, Seattle, WA.
- Technical Chair, Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), 1995, Seattle, WA.
- Technical Chair, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium and URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1994, Seattle, WA..
- L. Tsang, J. A. Kong, and R. Shin, Theory of Microwave Remote Sensing, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1985.
- L. Tsang, J.A. Kong, and K.H. Ding, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 1:Theory and Applications , Wiley Interscience, 2000, 426 pages.
- L. Tsang, J.A. Kong, K.H. Ding and C.O. Ao, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 2: Numerical Simulations, Wiley Interscience, 2001, 705 pages.
- L. Tsang and J.A. Kong, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 3: Advanced Topics, Wiley Interscience, 2001, 413 pages.
- M. Tateiba and L. Tsang (ed). Electromagnetic Theory and Network Methods, Progress in Electromagnetic Research, vol. 13, EMW Publishers, 362 pages Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1996.
- M. Tateiba and L. Tsang (ed), Electromagnetic Scattering by Rough Surfaces and random Media, Progress in Electromagnetic Research, vol. 14, EMW Publishers, 361 pages, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1996.
Recent Conference Papers
Ph.D. Graduates of UWEE
- Boheng Wen (Ph.D. 1989)
Radar Polarimetric Models of Geophysical Media
- Kung-Hau Ding (Ph.D. 1989)
Electromagnetic Wave Propagation and Scattering in Dense Media
- Shu-Hsiang Lou (Ph.D. 1991)
Application of Numerical Methods to Monte Carlo Simulations of Scattering of Waves by Random Rough Surfaces
- Charles E. Mandt (Ph.D. 1992)
Multiple Scattering in Random Media: Backscattering Enhancement in a Sparse Distribution of Large Scatterers and Monte Carlo Simulations of the Extinction Rate in Dense Media
- Richard D. West (Ph.D. 1994)
Microwave Emission from polar Firn
- Zhengxiao Chen (Ph.D. 1994)
Microwave Remote Sensing of Vegetation: Stochastic Lindenmayer System, Collective Scattering Effects, and Neural Network Inversions
- Chaiyuth Chansungsan (Ph.D. 1994)
Ultrafast and Terahertz-Frequency Semiconductor Quantum-Well Optoelectronics
- Lisa M. Zurk (Ph.D. 1995)
Electromagnetic Wave Propagation and Scattering in Dense, Discrete Random Media with Application to Remote Sensing of Snow
- Adriaan Jan. Sengers (Ph.D. 1996)
Nonlinear Optical properties of Semiconductor Quantum Wells with Opto-Electronic Applications
- Kyung Pak (Ph.D. 1996)
Studies of Large-Scale Random Rough Surface Scattering Problems Based on Monte Carlo Simulations with Efficient Computation Integral Equations Methods
- Guifu Zhang (Ph.D. 1998)
Detection and Imaging of Targets in The Presence of Clutter Based on Angular Correlation Function
- Qin Li (Ph.D. 2000)
Numerical Simulation of Interactions of Electromagnetic Waves with Lossy Dielectric Surfaces Using Fast Computational Methods
- Carrie Cornish (Ph.D., August 2000)
Highly Efficient Photon Echo Generation and a Study of the Energy Sources of Photon Echos
- Houfei Chen (Ph.D, August 2002 )
Fast electromagnetic simulation for interconnects on high speed circuits
- Jianjun Guo (Ph.D, December 2002 )
Electromagnetic wave propagation and scattering in dense media with application to passive microwave remote sensing of snow and foam-covered ocean
- Chung-Chi Huang (Ph.D, May 2003)
Full-wave modeling and characterization of high frequency interconnect in layered medium
- Lin Zhou (Ph.D, August 2003)
Simulations of emissivity in passive microwave remote sensing with 3-dimensional numerical solutions of Maxwell equations and fast algorithm
- Xiaoxiong(Kevin) Gu(Ph.D, December 2006)
Modeling effects of random rough surface on conductor loss at microwave frequencies
- Chong-Jin Ong (Ph.D, February 2007)
Fast electromagnetic methods for analyzing interconnects on packages and printed circuit boards
- Ding Liang (Ph.D, July 2009)
Multiple Scattering of Electromagnetic Wave by Dense Media and Rough Surface with Applications to Microwave Remote Sensing of Snow
- Boping Wu (Ph.D, June 2010)
Electromagnetic modeling of high speed interconnects in advanced electronic packaging
- Ruihua Ding (Ph.D, May 2011)
Random Rough Surface Effects in High Speed Interconnects by Parallel Plate Waveguide Model with Roughness
- Jeremy Quinn Bagley (Ph.D, June 2011)
Sources over Layered Media of Metamaterials and Plasmon: Modes, Fields, and Subwavelength Image Enhancement using Surface Roughness
- Xiaolan Xu (Ph.D, Dec 2011)
Electromagnetic scattering properties in random media and its applications in remote sensing
- Wenmo Chang (Ph.D, Dec 2014)
Electromagnetic Scattering Of Dense Media With Application To Active And Passive Microwave Remote Sensing of Terrestrial Snow
Current and Past Research Staff Supervised by Prof. Tsang
- Larry Wilson (University of Washington)
- Dong Chen (City University of Hong Kong)
- Qin Li (University of Washington)
- Eric King Wai Lam (City University of Hong Kong)
- Kin Lun Lai(City University of Hong Kong)
- Peng Xu (City University of Hong Kong)
- Yunhua Tan (City University of Hong Kong)
- Zhongxi Li (City University of Hong Kong)
- Yerong Zhang (City University of Hong Kong)
- Jin Pan (University of Washington)
- Chi Te Chen (University of Washington)
- Haogang Wang (Zhejiang University)