UW’s robotics and controls researchers are leaders in the areas of surgical and bio-robotics, haptics, smart cities, and network control systems. They collaborate with and hold secondary appointments in computer science and engineering, bioengineering, and the UW Medical Center, and are active participants in research centers such as the Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering.
Surgical and Bio-Robotics:
Network Control Systems:
- Data-Driven Dynamical Systems
- Networked Control Systems Laboratory
- Seelig lab for synthetic biology
- Radar Remote Sensing Laboratory
- BioRobotics Laboratory
- Baosen Zhang
- Lillian Ratliff
- Georg Seelig
- Eli Shlizerman
- Alex Mamishev
- Matt Reynolds
- Linda Bushnell
- John D. Sahr
- Eric Klavins
- Blake Hannaford
- Maryam Fazel
- Daniel J. Dailey
- Lawrence A. Crum
- Howard Jay Chizeck
- Samuel Burden
Startup BluHaptics Receives NASA Funding to Venture into Space RoboticsThe telerobotics company has secured new funding from NASA to apply its software to remote robotic operations in space.
Startup WiBotic Raises $2.5M to Charge Drones and Robots WirelesslyFounded by UW EE alum Ben Waters (Ph.D. '15) and Professor Joshua Smith, WiBotic landed a $2.5 million investment, supporting the company's development of wirelessly-powered technologies.
Professors Lillian Ratliff and Andrew Clark Receive Competitive NSF CRII GrantsThe NSF Research Initiation Initiative (CRII) grant supports faculty early in their careers as a way to establish research independence. Each year, the NSF awards only 25 to 30 grants nationwide.
Startup BluHaptics Raises $1.3M to Bring Its Underwater Software to SpaceThe EE-founded startup follows more than a million dollars in recent U.S. government grants, which together will be used to support the company’s expansion.
Researcher Tamara Bonaci Describes the Next Frontier of Brain HackingArs Technica sat down with Bonaci to discuss the next generation of hacking - the brain. As we evolve our technical efficiencies, brain hacking becomes a probable next step in the development of computer hacking capabilities.
- Electric Motors and Drives in the Aerospace Industry
- Transportation Applications of Adjustable Speed Drives
- Adjustable Speed Drives Transportation Industry Needs Part II: R&D and Aeropropulsion.
- Adjustable Speed Drives Transportation Industry Needs Part I: Automotive.
- Modeling of a Saturated Switched Reluctance Motor Using an Operating Point Analysis and the Unsaturated Torque Equation.
- Complex Rotating Vector Methods for Smooth Torque Control of a Saturated Switched Reluctance Motor.